Welcome Researchers


Research centers and career opportunities

The Central Bohemian Region has an extensive network of research organisations and centres specialised in various fields that are significant partners of companies in their research, development, and innovation activities.

Interactive portal: research organizations

This interactive map contains information about selected entities that are an important part of the innovative ecosystem in Central Bohemia. Includes a profile of research and academic institutions in the Central Bohemian Region and Prague, as well as selected largest companies (according to employment) in important branches of the Central Bohemian economy.

Useful information

Information on financial instruments

From national institutions and from the European Union, please visit here.

Research mobility assistance

EURAXESS portal contains practical advices concerning information on job and funding opportunities, as well as, information on how to plan and organize your move to different countries in Europe.


At the Czechinvest 9th annual contest (2017) “Cities for business”, Central Bohemia was recently awarded within a new category as the most “Attractive region for investment”, for the joint project of Dolní Břežany, Hodkovice and Vestec and STAR CLUSTER (Advanced Science and Technology Region). This award evaluated the access to quality education in primary schools, business infrastructure and business support.

These are the research within the science & research cluster:


A joint project of six institutes of the Academy of Sciences of the Czech Republic (Institute of Molecular Genetics, Institute of Biotechnology, Institute of Microbiology, Institute of Physiology, Institute of Experimental Medicine, and Institute of Macromolecular Chemistry) and two faculties of Charles University in Prague (Faculty of Science and 1st Faculty of Medicine). The project’s goal is to establish European Centre of Excellence in biomedicine and biotechnology.

Job and career opportunities: here

ELI Beamlines

With initial funding from the European Union and local governments, the Extreme Light Infrastructure ELI will be a multi-sited Research Infrastructure for the investigation and applications of laser matter interaction at more than 6 orders of magnitude higher intensities than today’s state of the art.

Job and career opportunities: here


The main goal of the HiLASE project is to develop laser technologies having breakthrough technical parameters. In general, those lasers will be significantly more powerful and efficient, more compact, more stable and more easily maintained than the currently available technology.

Job and career opportunities: here

Residency in Czech Republic

The department within the Ministry of the Interior responsible for residency in the country is the Foreign Police (Služba cizinecké policie). The work here is related to issuing short-term visas for up to 90 days, registration of new migrants coming to the country, check on residency permits (e.g. at work, on the street), and penalties of non-compliance with the conditions for residency in the country.

For EU citizens:
Citizens of the EU have the same legal status as residents. However, it is necessary to report a change of your address within 30 days with the Foreign Police, other changes have to be reported within 3 days after their occurrence. Always keep deadlines.

Foreigners` Residence Unit Prague and Central Bohemia Region

If you work in the Czech Republic only, you will become Czech resident for taxation purposes. However, it is fundamental to determine where you will be making social security and health insurance payments.

Regarding health travel insurance, is not compulsory but recommended, between period of arrival and the commencing date of your employment.

For Non-EU citizens:

All application process needs to be done in Czech Embassy abroad. The applicants are also entitled to file an application for a long-term residence for scientific research permit inside the Czech Republic at the MOI offices if they are already residing in the Czech Republic on a long-term visa or on a long-term residence permit issued for a different purpose.

For research employment there are three types of visas:

Long-term VISA: the purpose of SCIENTIFIC RESEARCH
Long-term residence: the purpose of SCIENTIFIC RESEARCH
In order to apply for both types of visa candidates are obliged to submit a hosting agreement they have signed with the research organization that will host them. The difference between Long-term VISA and Long-term residence is in the length of stay. While the Long-term VISA is for a stay longer than 3 months but less than 1 year, the Long-term residence is for a stay for longer than 1 year. For the Long-term VISA candidates must submit a confirmation of accommodation signed by the owner of the apartment while for the Long-term residence this document is not needed. For more information click HERE.

Contact: Mrs. Zuzana Tuťálková, Wiehlův dům; Vodičkova 40/792, 110 00 Prague 1, +420 731 426 969, , www.euraxess.cz

Employee Card (long-term residence – longer than 3 months – and employment). With regard to professional qualifications, an employee card is intended for all types of employment regardless of the level of required professional qualifications. For more information click HERE.

Recognition of diplomas

Academic recognition is characterized by a detailed comparison of curricula, resulting in a decision on whether the education acquired abroad is equivalent to the education provided in the Czech Republic.

Recognition of foreign higher education is decided, in principle by public universities according to § 89 and § 90 of Act no. 111/1998 Coll., Universities Act. But is the Ministry of Education, Youth and Sports the one who issues the certificate of recognition of education only if: a) the diploma was obtained in a state with which there is an agreement on recognition of equivalence of documents (or recognition of education) and b) if the university runs a study program similar in content and is therefore competent to decide on recognition.

If it is a military area, the recognition is decided according to § 95 para. 9 of the Law on Higher Education Ministry of Defense; in the security services, then decides on the recognition of the Ministry of Interior.

Some of the documents required are:

• Letter of termination of the last degree
• Apostille diploma (by the country of origin of attained degree)
• Time load sheet, including practice and theory hours

For more information for the recognition of foreign education and qualifications in the Czech Republic, visit English Brochure from Ministry of Education, Youth and Sports.

After your arrival

For EU citizens:

• register your stay at the Foreign Police Inspectorate within 30 calendar days
o Foreigners` Residence Unit Prague and Central Bohemia Region
• open a bank account if your stay is long-term
• Obtain a Social Security number from the Municipal Social Security Administration (Městská správa sociálního zabezpečení, MSSZ). A personal visit is necessary.

For Non-EU citizens:

For long-term stay
• register your stay and have biometric data taken at the Foreign Police within 3 working days
o Foreigners` Residence Unit Prague and Central Bohemia Region
• Obtain a Social Security number from the Municipal Social Security Administration (Městská správa sociálního zabezpečení, MSSZ). A personal visit is necessary.
• Open a bank account
• Pick up long-term stay permit card at the Foreign Police


The Czech acronym for VAT is DPH. The following VAT rates apply:
• 21% standard VAT rate applies to most products and services
• 15% reduced VAT rate applies only to specific products and services
• 10% on books and medicines

Income tax
• personal income tax rate is 15%

Corporate taxes
• The standard corporate tax rate for a Czech resident company is 19%